11 September 2008

Hyacinths

Yesterday I stepped out of work and was blinded by the sun for the first time in a few days. The air was still cool but the sun warm, which made a wonderful combination. The trees look amazing as well with their tops yellowing nicely.

It was so nice out I decided to plant the hyacinth bulbs in the front. I bought 48 bulbs of mixed colors. I laid them all out on the dirt first to see where to put them and was surprised by how much they looked like mini purple onions sitting in tiny divots. The package says they are easy to grow, but I do wonder if easy also means they will survive in blistering hot powdery dirt. We'll see. Maybe I'll put some Miracle Grow on them in the spring. I will have to count each plant in the spring as I had to remove several mounds of cat scat before digging the holes. As I was digging I also noticed each hole wasn't the same depth and some of the bulbs were a bit lopsided. Hopefully they'll grow anyway.


One thing was cool - the gigantic ant hill was gone. It was taking over my front garden and nothing was working to get rid of them. I can't remember where I heard it, but apparently corn meal was supposed to kill them. So I put little piles of corn meal all around the ants and forgot about it. Now they are gone, so I guess it worked. Maybe the ant carcasses will fertilize the bulbs :)

No comments: