19 October 2008

Itty Bitty Book Review - The Secret Life of Bees

I found out about this book because it is being made into a movie. Oprah had the stars of the movie on her show, but I fast-forwarded through most of it. I didn't want the book to be spoiled for me by too much talk or scenes from the movie. The one thing I did remember was that Queen Latifa is playing a major role in it and I find I like her. The acting she does isn't spectacular or anything, it's the way she carries herself. Always has her head held high and her back straight. I admire her ability to keep her shoulders squared and her eyes straight ahead.

The Secret Life of Bees was excellent as a book and I don't know how it will do as a movie. It is the kind of book that describes the heat of the day in such a way that my skin warms up. When she talks about honey I can feel the stickiness on my fingers and when she describes the flowers the air feels heavier and sweeter around me. How do you translate that to a movie? Some books can transport you to another location, and some can open up the your senses and make it feel real. Bees was definitely the latter. I wonder if Sue Monk Kidd's other books are equally rich in description?

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

I read that book ages ago and remember liking it, although I don't remember it that well. I should read it again.

I'd like to see the movie, I think. I wonder if it'll still be in the theatres at Christmas (hint hint)?

Love and hugs,
Chantelle