03 November 2008

Ready for Winter


S and I finally tore down all of the sweet peas. We have already had at least one thick frost this year so the vines were dead but still looked green. Now my icky chain link fence is bare. It looks so naked. I was going to just leave them up on the fence until spring but I don't like the look of green leaves in snow. And the fence would get too heavy if we have a wet snowfall. So down they came. We rolled the vines into balls that are three feet high and tied them up hoping that the garbage collectors would take them.They look like tumbleweeds (TumblePeas?) to me :) If the garbage collection won't take them, then I'll pound them down until I can get them into bags. Or get the boys to pound them down - they'd probably enjoy it more than I would.

The next day I went out with scissors and cut the stems of each vine down to a couple of inches. My mom taught me that if you leave a bit of the plant then your dirt will fertilize itself. And the ground is frozen not too far beneath the surface so I couldn't actually pull them out.

The weather has been fantastic lately! I'm used to some snow by now and the occasional year of bitter cold (the November that my older son was born was dry and cold, below -20 C). So far there has been only one windstorm that had snow, but the snow didn't even last an hour. The wind, however, tossed my neighbor's garage shingles all over my lawn. Those got picked up with the sweet peas. I think the forecast is for snow later this week, but I don't pay a lot of attention to upcoming weather. I do know that the ground is cold and hard, even with the ambient air being a bit warm. And I do mean a bit, it's not warm but not cold. Just sunny and a bit chilly. I wonder if we will have a short winter this year (can you hear the hope in my typing?) instead of snow in April.

1 comment:

The Hyperlexian Aspie said...

TumblePeas!!!!!!!!!

I remember pretty much the same thing from Mom about leaving plants in/on the ground. I shudder when I see completely bare dirt in the fall. Your peas will be extra helpful fertilizers, because legumes "fix" nitrogen into the soil, making it better for plants that follow.

Love,
Vicki