25 November 2008

...starving......


I'm starving. I am currently withering away to nothing. So very, very weak......need...foood....

I went to the doctor yesterday to get a requisition for bloodwork. I figure if I get the blood drawn now to test my iron levels, the results will be in by the time I go for my physical in about a week. I know the iron supplements are working. Since I've been taking them properly (actually timing them for two hours after eating and one hour before) I have not been dizzy, tired or hallucinogenic. Anyway, the doctor needs confirmation of them working so I need to have blood drawn. While I was in the doctor's office I mentioned that I do worry a bit about my heart. My dad had his first heart attack at the age of 39 and here I am, 38 already. So the doctor checked off the whole cholesterol section of the requisition and informed me I needed to fast for 12-16 hours before the test.

So now I am waiting for hour 12 to arrive so I can go to the clinic. I made an appointment so I won't have to wait when I get there. I actually wanted an earlier appointment so I could go on my coffee break at work, but they were booked for at least a week. Now I have to wait. Another hour and a half. Would it be wrong to show up to the appointment and have a forkful of supper in my hand? Maybe if I just bring a cereal bar and have it open and ready so I can eat it as soon as they are done. Or maybe I could try to not think about food as it causes me to drool on my shirt.

The problem I encountered with fasting today at work was that I was in a food production plant. We make cake. And icing. And caramel, ganache and cheesecake. I was going to help unwrap Rolos today (we use them on one of our cakes) in order to fill my day up a bit. But I wasn't sure I'd be able to resist licking them. Nobody wants pre-licked Rolos on their cakes, so I'd've had to eat them. Same with the Hugs. I had someone else toast the pecans for me as well. Mostly because when I take them out of the oven and flip them, I eat a few to test their doneness before putting them back in the oven. Wasn't sure I could resist warm, toasted pecans, better not to try.

At least the cook wasn't making parisienne cream. That is the best smell ever.....warm chocolate and whipping cream with butter........

One hour and fifteen minutes left. Sigh.......

No comments: