07 December 2008

Itty Bitty Book Review - Blindness by Jose Saramago


I just finished the book Blindness by Jose Saramago and it was amazing! I can absolutely see why this author won the Nobel Prize for Literature. His writing is fantastic, dense and thought provoking.

Blindness is about a city of people (possibly global) suddenly struck blind - except for one. What do you think would happen? How would the government handle it? What would the world be like for the one who could see?

Absolutely brilliant in his depiction of human nature, Jose Saramago describes what is happening from several points of view. Absolutely nowhere is a single name given, nor a reference to the city or country of origin. This was interesting but not difficult to follow at all. His prose drew me in immediately, although it was difficult to read as it'd been translated from Portuguese. There are no conversation quote marks and very few paragraph breaks so sometimes I had to back up just a bit to re-orient myself as to who was talking. I would very much like to see if the author's other books are equally gripping.

This book has been made into a movie, and I would like to see how well the book is represented. The description of the filth and chaos would not be well received by many audiences but is absolutely integral to the plot.

No comments: