29 March 2009

I need a new hairstylist

I stumbled on a new blog to look at every day and boy oh boy does it bring back memories. I was looking for the commercial for the Easter Creme Eggs back in the early 80's. Remember the one with the roller rink? I couldn't find it anywhere, but I did find this blog that lists things from the 60's, 70's and 80's. It's good to know I was singing the theme song to Electric Company correctly :) Now if the blog creator can find Strawberry Shortcake dolls, Scratch n Sniff T-Shirts, and the commercial for Pure Spring Ginger Ale I'd be in awe :)

I am not in awe, however, of my hairstylist. I had my hair cut yesterday and I'm really not satisfied with how it looks. The haircut matches the picture I brought in but my stylist completely igno
red my request to have the back all even and manicured and less hair in front of my ears. She even tried to have the hair in front of the ears reach all the way down to my jawline but I made her cut that off. But she absolutely would not cut it the way I wanted and kept saying it would be 'lesbian hair'. What she doesn't seem to understand is that I like that hairstyle. I like the edges all manicured, like a man's style. I'm not a girly girl, I don't have flowing tresses all curly and bouncy. I wear a hairnet for 8 hours a day and the rest of the time my hair simply needs to look decent.

I used to have long hair but found it was heavy and didn't frame my face very well. And when I started working at the bakery and wore a hairnet, I realized my hair is really very oily. My hair was mid-length at the time so I put it into a ponytail under the hairnet and again at night (the oil in my hair gave me pimples). Even though I showered and washed my hair twice a day I still had an oil slick on top of my head. That's when I started getting it cut boy-short.

My long hair was something my stylist liked and didn't want me to give up. When I went to her to get it cut very short she cut it into layers but kept the length. I stopped going to her after a while because although she is excellent at cutting hair she just didn't listen and was gruff to talk to. The best hairstylist I had was a guy from Australia. I went in with hair down past my bra line and wanted it cut so it was layered and brushing my shoulders. In some places on my head, that meant 8" off. He was reluctant to do it until I told him to hand me the scissors so I could cut it and he could fix it. That's when I realized I preferred shorter hair and I don't think I let it get past my shoulders after that.

Anyway, I ran into the other hairstylist at a store about three years ago and shortly after a bad haircut. I remembered that she did a fabulous job but forgot she didn't really pay attention to what I wanted and booked an appointment with her. They boys' hair finally looked good and shaped their faces nicely. S's hair looked great. Mine was ok. S had no problem getting her to cut it the way he wanted, the boys hair always turned out well, but mine she just would not give me the haircut I requested. So I started bringing in photos. She did the haircut beautifully, but never would do the edges the way I wanted. It always looked too close to 'lesbian hair' for her liking. So now I'm done. I need a new stylist that will actually listen and cut my hair the way I request without nasty comments about it.

I am tempted to go to a barber and get him to tailor the edges like a man's hair. But really, I don't want to pay for another haircut so soon. I could go back to the hairstylist that cut it and request that she fix it for free, but if she hasn't listened all this time...why would she now? So instead I'll let it grow out a bit and go to a different stylist next time with a photo and clear modifications. Anyone in my city know a good stylist?

The other reason I want to stop going to this woman is because her daughter was my first dayhome child eleven years ago. I had her daughter in my house for three and a half years. But her daughter died in December '07 because of a car accident and I think it might be painful to see me or my boys. It's just a reminder that my boys will grow up but her daughter won't.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I still have my Strawberry Shortcake doll from when I was a kid. She sits on my dresser. I remember when I first got her her hair smelled like strawberries!

About the stylist, thats bullshit! yes, she should lisen to you. I don't know of a good one anymore since I've been out of the Salon/spa setting for so long. But the lesbian comment was really uncalled for and one of the first things we learned at Marvel was something called customer service and something else called MANNERS! I swear, men are the best stylist!
Sometimes going to somewhere like Marvel you can get really good work b/c the students are new, love their jobs and are excited PLUS they have someone looking over them!

Chantelle said...

I swear, finding a good hairstylist that you trust is more difficult than finding a mate. Maybe someone needs to set up a "dating" service to match people with stylists. :)

As a half-dyke (uhhhhh, part-lesbian? bi-girl? take-what-I-can-get?) I see nothing wrong with lesbian or dyke hair... and I'm a little offended that she'd be so insensitive as to label ANYTHING like that. Lesbians, like heterosexuals, come in all shapes, sizes, and hairstyles.

I think the hairstyle in the picture with the mods you requested would look sooooo pretty on you! It would bring out your gorgeous eyes and highlight your sculpted cheekbones.

If she was in a salon, I'd go to the owner, explain the problem, and ask for a recut. If she's not in a salon, then I'd cut my losses (if she didn't listen to me before, she wouldn't listen to me now) and go somewhere else.

I used to go to the hairdressing school over on Whyte (I think it's Marvel now, but it didn't use to be) and they always did a fantastic job, because they took more care to do it right. And because someone supervised it :)

Getting your hair cut by a barber might work really well if you can't find another hairstylist.

Good luck with the hair - I'm sure it looks nice now anyways, even if it's not perfect.

Hugs and love,
Chantelle

chellie said...

It is hard to find a decent hairstylist and when you do find one they move to a different salons miles away. I like the hairstyle you choose and it should be tapered towards the back. This is the cut I have http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/gallery/short/15.html with the sides and back a little longer and the stylists did a good job with it.