05 March 2009

Itty Bitty Book Review - Good To A Fault

This was another book I put on hold at the library and by the time I picked it up I had no idea why I was originally interested in it. Good To A Fault is about a single woman - Clara - that gets in a car accident with a traveling family. Once it's determined that the mother in family car has cancer, Clara takes in the three children and grandmother as they have nowhere else to go. The author, Marina Endicott, leaves it up to the reader to decide whether Clara is doing this because it is the right thing to do or because she feels responsible for the car accident.

Either way, the book held me right until the end because I don't think I have the capacity to take in complete strangers. Or even family overnight, really. I've learned that I don't particularly like houseguests and I have very little patience with the invasion of my space even for a short while. I also don't like it when people just drop by as I have to be in the mood to entertain others, nor do I ever have friends over to my house. Instead I take them out for coffee. My home is my sanctuary and I feel a bit invaded when people are in it. And yes, that includes the three others that live here :)

The only roommates I've ever had were my ex and my boyfriend S, the kids don't count :) But even having other adults in my house makes me want to scream some days. There are times that I wished I lived alone in a tiny house...but then I remind myself that the rest of the time I like to have someone around and I can't really have both worlds. So instead I make sure I get some time alone in the house most days, that way I'm ok with having others around me.

I used to think I had the generosity to open up my house to friends and family...but the more and more I had a friend over the more and more I was screaming in my head and resenting the very existence of my friend. I've come to accept that I'm just not that kind of person, but it was fun reading about someone who is :)

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

The book sounds quite good. Lately I've been reading, ummm, horror books.... not like that's new.... but for a change I could try this one :)

Love,
Chantelle