22 April 2009

Iron and me

As you may remember, I take iron pills because my iron levels are too low. I read somewhere on the Internet that iron is better absorbed with vitamin C but not to take it with anything else as the iron binds to the food and not my body. Rather counter productive to taking the pills if they are binding to something other than me. So I started taking a vitamin C tablet right before the iron pills in hopes that I would absorb all the iron.

Keeping that in mind, I've been exhausted lately. Just absolutely bone tired. I would wake up in the morning feeling like I just laid down. Then spend the day with sore muscles, exhaustion, headaches and general inability to think.

Today while I was standing arou...er..working, I started thinking about why I could possibly be so tired. A flu occured to me. It's been a long while since I was really sick with an all-over type thing. Pregnancy is out of the question. Little bitty pills stop that from happening. Then I remembered that sometimes my body doesn't react the way it should to different medications. After work I took my iron pill without anything else. I now have more energy than I've had in over two weeks. Hm.

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

That kind of tiredness sucks - it's the one where you lie in bed and think, "I should shower" but it's too much work to actually get out of bed and shower, so you go back to sleep.

I'm happy that the iron pills do help... but it sucks that your body wants to do its own thing when it comes to metabolizing the iron.

Hugs, love, and smooches,
Chantelle