28 August 2009

My beautiful sweet peas


My sweet peas are finally in full bloom...thanks to Mother Nature for some rain :) They aren't as spectacular as last year's crop, but still very pretty. Last year I used the bush-style seeds and this year the single vine seeds which made a big difference. I prefer the bushier ones I think. I like to completely cover the icky chain link fence.

Since I love the smell of the sweet peas so much I have been cutting them and putting them in vases. Last summer I bought a couple of narrow vases from the dollar store that fit the sweet peas beautifully. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but this year there are sweet peas in my bedroom too :)

I called a greenhouse nearby to ask about hyacinth bulbs. They will stock them in the next week or two so I'll get some then. I'd like them to grow as hyacinths instead of ornamental onions like they did this year. Maybe I'll even ask at the greenhouse how to improve my soil so the hyacinths can live longer. Well, and actually grow :) Maybe they will have some tips on the early annihilation of aphids as well...

4 comments:

Sheri said...

So pretty, my mom used to grow them.

The Hyperlexian Aspie said...

so lovely!!! i love the smell too. as a teenager i used to wear sweet pea scented cologne. i can't wait to see them in person... make sure they keep blooming another week!

our weather may be too cold to overwinter hyacinth bulbs, you may need to wait till spring to plant them.

love,
vicki

The Hyperlexian Aspie said...

p.s. are you interested in any gardening books? i have a few i don't read anymore.

TexAss said...

Those are beautiful! I love sweet peas!