25 August 2009

My lawn

For the first time in over fifteen years, I did a crappy job at cutting the grass.

When my dad had his first heart attack I was almost twelve years old. The doctors told him he couldn't do the heavy work anymore so I took up the job of cutting the grass. The very first time I mowed the lawn, I went to my dad for inspection all sweaty and happy at having done a good job. He put his arm around me and said "see where you missed that bit there?" and pointed to five or six blades of grass standing in a neat little row. I remember ripping them out of the ground with my hand so the lawn would look good.

Don't get me wrong, my dad wasn't a slave driver or a perfectionist. He taught me that a job worth doing was worth doing well. So since then I have always done an excellent job on the lawn. Not obsessive - there were many years I didn't have a trimmer for the edges. But always mowed the lawn by going over one strip of grass, back over the same strip, move the mower halfway across the strip, go up again. So each bit of grass is cut about three times by the blade.

Today, however, I mowed the lawn like a drunken teenager. It was getting so long in the back yard that I could lose a small animal in it, but the front is all crispy and pretty much has stopped growing. So I mowed all of the back yard, some of the driveway, most of the area around the garbage bins, and some of the side. I didn't even enter the front yard or the boulevard. Most of the grass I actually did get under the mower was only passed over once. Really, I was just looking to get the grass to a more uniform length so I just cut the long patches. Well, most of them anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is the last mowing of the season. Next year I'll do a better job, really daddy, I will :)

No comments: