25 September 2009

Fall...and new shows :)

Fall snuck up on me this year. I don't remember watching the leaves on the trees start to lose their vibrancy and fade to a less vivid green, then to their fall color. Instead it's like I opened my eyes and saw the yellow leaves. I did take note on my way to work one day of when the scent of the air changed. It went from hot summer air laden with flower blossoms to cooler air with a slight scent of leaf rot. So I knew fall was on its way but I didn't look out of my personal bubble to see the world around me change. One way I knew fall was coming was...new TV shows!!

Yes, I am a TV addict. My mom tells the story of how they decided to buy a color TV back in the early 70's. My dad worked for a TV repair shop and brought home a color TV to try out. My older sister was unfazed by it and continued doing what she was doing. I, apparently, stopped everything and went up to the TV where I saw that Big Bird on Sesame Street was yellow. I was mesmerized right from the get go. My younger sister was just a baby so I don't think she even noticed the new TV :) Now S and I have a huge LCD TV and a PVR box. The TV was free and the PVR box was one of the most satisfying purchases I've made.

The PVR allows me to record two different shows at a time while watching another recorded show. Or record one show and watch any other channel. I can also pause, rewind, and fast forward live TV with it. The PVR also gets HD channels which are amazing! I mean, I can see every hair on Oprah's head, every jewel in the audience and every wrinkle on every actor! OoooooOOOooh! The scenery on Survivor is just breathtaking!

And what shows do I watch? Well, the ones I program to record for sure are: almost every Oprah show (I've been known to fast forward through some of them), Castle, Heroes, House, America's Best Dance Crew, Lost, Survivor, CSI (original only), Fringe, Dollhouse, Defying Gravity, and I've tried the Dr Oz Show. I liked Dr Oz on Oprah, but his daily show is a bit much. I really like looking at the body parts and understanding how my body works. I also love how he answers any question without a hint of embarrassment or shame. But I really don't like his 'Truth Tube' where he puts a viewer beside a screen that tells the Real Age (I have issues with how that's calculated), waist size, weight, and whatnot. And I'm not happy with his semi-obvious affiliation with nutritional supplements. Just not my thing, I guess. Anyway, we also download shows that aren't available with the channels we are offered. Those are Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Warehouse 13, and Eureka.

While watching my shows I have noticed the marked increase in product placement lately. I remember when a big fuss was made about how American Idol judges had to have their Coke cups with the label facing out all the time. That was when it seemed relatively new to be so obvious about the product on the show. Now it's everywhere. Full screen shots of Samsung phones, Silk soy product, Charmin outhouse, or Cube vehicle. I've actually started to wonder if the actors are going to go into a 10 minute conversation about the apps on their new iphones or about what kinds of things you can put in your new Ziploc flat bottom bags. Sorta like the 50's and Camel cigarettes on the Lucy show. I suspect this is because of people like me who fast forward through the commercials, or download shows with no commercials. They have to get their funding from somewhere.

Can you guess what I'll be doing tonight? That's right - catching up on recorded shows :)

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

I don't remember that tv coming home because you're right, I could sort of take it or leave it - even now. I love that you love it... and HD is so much better than regular tv. :)

Love,
Chantelle