01 January 2010

Happy New Year

Happy New Year - I hope everybody was safe in their celebrations. I would like New Year's a lot more if it was warm and sunny out, but here it's dark and cold and snowy. It just makes me want to hibernate and fantasize about warm sun on my skin and prickly green grass poking my feet.

S and I stayed in an watched a couple of movies I'd recorded. I get most of the movie channels so every once in a while I flip through them and record whatever sounds interesting. We watched something called A Number which was about how adult clones struggle with their identity. It was slow, but I did find it interesting how the father dealt with each clone that visited him.

The second movie we saw was The Code with Morgan Freeman and Antonio Banderas. I'd set this one to record based on those two actors and nothing else. There was no writeup for it on my Guide setting on the PVR box. But I like Morgan Freeman and have nothing against Antonio Banderas so I figured it was worth a shot. It turned out to be a crime drama, the leads are thieves after a big heist. There's a plot twist that keeps it interesting and the movie held my attention easily. Except I had a hard time picturing Antonio as a sex symbol, I kept envisioning him as Puss In Boots from the Shrek movies. Every time he tried to look sexy I had the image of an orange tabby cat in thigh-high boots, which almost made me giggle.

Another movie I'd recorded and saw a few days ago was Pontypool. I chose this one because it said 'suspense' in the description and that always interests me. Turns out it was about a virus that affects a small Ontario town. This could almost be a student film because it's basically shot on one set with three main actors. You don't even see the extras really, just their shadows and voices. It held my attention as well. I wouldn't say it was spectacular, but it was good. Kind of a zombie movie.

The rest of my New Year's was spent worrying about J. T had to work and then stayed home in his room, but J went out with friends. He has several circles of friends, some that mix well and some that don't. Some that are not a bad influence and some I'd rather moved far, far away. Luckily, he was hanging out with the not too bad crowd last night. From what he told me, they spent a lot of time riding the city buses because they were free all night and ended up at someone's house. J didn't tell me everything he did, but I have an active imagination so I can figure it out myself. After all, I was 13 once, and if I had anywhere near the amount of friends he had then I'd've been doing similar stuff.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time looking at the clock wondering what J was up to and whether or not I should worry. Things worked out fine, he's in one piece and didn't get into any trouble. Well, no major trouble that I was told about. He was where he said he'd be when I picked him up and I even gave his friend a ride home. Even though the buses were free his friend had to walk six blocks to get to the bus stop and it was -25C out. I couldn't leave him to walk so I had him get in my car and drove him home. That way he could avoid the drunken people that were trickling to their homes.

Let's hope 2010 (or MMX) turns out to be a good year :)

2 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You sound like a good mother. If I had kids they would all have GPS without complete sound and video implanted in their skulls. Then all I would have to go my computer and dowload where they are and what they were doing. I guess I really wouldn't go so far. Yes I would. I would also tell them I had clones of them all ready to go if the 'current' model disappointed me. It would be like 'Moon' only the movie would be called 'Cave' because the Cave is where I live.

I too didn't mind Pontypool. I tend to seek out those lost little movies.

Chantelle said...

I like the way you think, Cal :)

I think I'd be happy implanting them with a GPS, physical telemetry, and a receiver. Then I'd know where they are, in what state their body was, and I could push a button to make them stop doing stuff. Like, "subject shows signs of intoxication" ... Bzzzzzz-zap!

I'm pretty sure this technology exists already (google latitude, anyone?). I wonder how far away we are from using the technology this way?

I love your movie selections, Bean - I haven't seen them and now I want to. I also like independent movies.

Love,
Chantelle