09 September 2011

Movies

The books I've been reading lately have been less than glorious, summer TV generally sucks, which leaves my next favorite pastime - movies!


I watched two recently which were surprisingly good. The first was Bad Teacher with Cameron Diaz. This was one movie that I expected the trailer to contain all the funny parts but I was happily wrong. Cameron plays a bad teacher that is saving up for a boob job in order to land a rich guy to take care of her. Sound superficial? Yeah, it was. Knowing that before I watched it helped because then I expected nothing but fluff from it, no deep meanings, no thought-provoking scenes, just entertainment. It didn't disappoint. 


I especially liked how Cameron's character was unapologetic in her behaviour - she was a superficial, rude, self-centered adult and that didn't change much throughout the movie. Her character grew a bit but stayed true to who she was which was something I liked. I find it a bit too false when a character like that 'wakes up' in the movie and becomes someone completely different, you know? Oh, and the gym teacher - Jason Segel - had some of the best lines which he delivered with impeccable timing. I don't know if it was the magic of editing, writing or just who he is that made him so funny. I looked him up and found his filmography included movies I have zero interest in, which explains why I've never seen him before.


The other movie I saw that I found very entertaining was Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. It wasn't until the end credits that I found out it was filmed right here in Alberta, Canada! This helped to explain why I liked it - some Canadian films are a bit odd or have a different feel to them that I absolutely love. 


This movie was gory but not what I would classify a horror. Tucker and Dale are two rednecks on vacation in their new 'vacation cabin' in the woods when they run into a bunch of preppy college kids. The college kids are camping in the woods when they encounter two slow-witted, bloodthirsty rednecks bent on killing them all off. It was funny how each group viewed each other and how they based their next actions on what they thought was true. Serious lack of communication there. A quote from the movie on IMDb's site: "Oh hidy ho officer, we've had a doozy of a day. There we were minding our own business, just doing chores around the house, when kids started killing themselves all over my property." 


Really worth taking a look at these two movies if you like something where your brain can rest from thinking :)

No comments: