25 March 2012

Back to work

Well, I made it through my first week back at work. About halfway through my shift on Monday I thought I was going to die. I was prepared to simply lie down on a bag of flour and expire. Instead I took some Advil for the mounting caffeine withdrawl headache and ate a chocolate covered coffee bean. That got me through the rest of the day.


When I got home on Monday I had a shower and congratulated myself for getting my work done with minimal help. I was quite proud of myself and then it hit me: I was going to have to get up the next day and to it all over again. That took some of the wind out of my sails. Luckily my workload actually decreased as the week went on. So by Friday I only had a four hour shift. I was ok with that :)


Sleeping was a problem. I had become accustomed to going to bed whenever I felt like it (usually midnight) and getting up whenever I damn well pleased (around 9am). I did go to bed early Sunday night but was awake most of the night. Every tiny movement or breath from S woke me up so I moved out onto the couch where I got about two hours of sleep. I woke up a few minutes before my alarm (340 am) and thought "no, it's not time to be up, it's still the middle of the night!". After that I only slept around five hours each night and thought this would eventually catch up to me. It did. On Friday I got home and had a two hour nap then slept for 11 hours overnight. Hopefully this week my sleeping pattern will adjust back to normal.


My hands feel...meaty...again as the muscle tone I lost in my fingers over the nine weeks came back. My feet hurt halfway up my shins but are better now. I wrenched my shoulder something fierce and have a difficult time lifting my right arm level with the floor. You'd think I'd've lost weight now that I'm moving around so much more and eating less, but no. My body stubbornly refuses to let go of the couple of pounds I gained while I was off. Overall I felt great though :) I prefer to move around and see the work I have to do slowly diminish throughout the day. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

No comments: