07 May 2013

Hyacinth

This spring has been ucky. Just...ucky. April was one of the coldest Aprils on record for our city. In fact, this is what it looked like less than a month ago:
And then yesterday we set the record for highest temperatures for 06 May - it reached 31 C out there. Yes, it was a massive change and difficult to adjust to. 

On the weekend I started clearing out the flower beds to get ready for some planting and found a hyacinth! Actually, three of them trying to grow in the front garden :) They look a bit like the runts of the litters, they are small and only have a couple of blossoms. Last year they didn't even bloom and I'd given up on them. I even created a new garden in the back yard with many more new bulbs purchased at a greenhouse. Those ones didn't come up very well last year and I wonder if I used the wrong kind of soil in that new garden. Or it could also be dog pee seeping into the dirt from my neighbour. Either way, it turns out I do actually have some hyacinth blooms. Yay :)

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

Pretty :)