02 November 2013

Last of the fall yard work

My neighbor has a huge tree bordering their back yard that they pruned recently. The tree belongs to their neighbor and happily throws little helicopter seeds all over my yard every fall. These seeds take root easily and I end up pulling small trees out of my gardens all summer. Anyway, the neighbor left the branches they cut out by the garbage two or three weeks ago. I saw them and thought of taking them for my fire pit but thought I'd wait to see if the waste collection would take them or if someone else wanted them. 

Obviously, the waste collection did not take them. Loose branches don't get recycled unless they are bundled, no more than four feet long, and no more than 50 lbs. Today it started to snow and the weather is expected to get cold so I figured if I want the branches, now is the time to get them. 

I dragged them into my yard where I separated the little sticks from the big branches. This was easy enough as the branches were getting quite dry from being left out. I decided to keep the helicopter seeds still attached to the branches, they will make good kindling next year. After I was done snapping as many branches as I could into fire pit sized lengths I cleaned up my little wood shed as well. It's not so much a 'wood shed' as a 'big plastic box' that keeps all the wood dry. It's my hope that over the winter the branches will dry out in the box some more and make nice firewood. 

As I was working away I realized I looked like what I think is the stereotypical Ukrainian middle-aged woman. I was wearing an ankle-length skirt, a sweater that comes to mid-thigh, thick socks, sneakers, and leather gloves. All I needed was the kerchief on my head - lol.
The other thing I did to prepare for winter was wrap my Morden Sunrise roses. I have two of them this year. For the last three years (I think) I have planted one in the yard and each winter it dies. All the other Canadian Explorer roses I have get ready for winter by pulling the water out of their leaves and letting them turn gold or red. These are usually shed before it starts really snowing. But the Mordens don't do that, they keep their green leaves right through the winter and then the plant is dead by spring - likely from freezing to death with all the moisture in the leaves. So this year I thought I'd try something different. We haven't had a killing frost yet but it's coming and we are expected to get 10-20 cm of snow this weekend. I managed to finally get off my behind and wrap the Mordens in burlap to help protect them from the cold winter. I hope it works.

No comments: