26 November 2014

Ferguson

I have not read anything about what is happening in Ferguson. I have scrolled past all the posts of all the rallies and riots. Why? If you are still reading, here we go:

I do not believe that one person is superior to another for any reason whatsoever. Fixed in my mind is the idea that we are all equals because we are all born. The colour of our skin, our sexual orientation, our gender identity, our born gender, our religious beliefs, or anything else, really. Every person is equal to another, period.

No, I don't have my head in the sand. I am well aware of how people have conducted themselves in the name of supremacy, religion, and gender. I am very much aware that the world does not see people as equals. It pains me to see that there are groups that bring others down to elevate themselves. And this brings me to the following questions:

Is damaging property the way to show your support/distaste of a situation?
Is hurting a person who is different than you really elevating your status?

Instead of participating in any side of any issue I would rather look at the person as a human being in a situation. The phrase 'be the change you want to see in the world' resonates deeply with me. 

And so, readers that have made it this far, why not do the same? Why not demand the media to stop using words like white, black, hispanic, asian, gay, homosexual, transgender, female, male, etc. when describing a situation. Why not report incidents as "a person was shot and killed by a police officer today". Why haven't we evolved to this point yet? And why aren't we as equals demanding this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again full support here.

S

Anonymous said...

I've lived in So Cal for a long time now and still don't understand the riot thing. I was in LA during the riots and was actually afraid of blacks for a while. I'm better now but my confusion over the incident continues. The media has a hand in escalating the response for sure and some people come from other areas to heist a new tv.
Aunt Margaret