30 May 2015

Returns

Have I mentioned that I have a job working as the Return to Vendor clerk at a home and garden store? Well, I do. And you know what? We will take anything back. Anything.


  • A lawn mower appeared in my area for me to deal with (get a credit or get it fixed). I checked it out and it looked like someone mowed their gravel driveway with it. After some searching I found out that the manufacturer hasn't made that model for two years. So someone used it for a couple of years, it broke, and they returned it for a full refund.
  • Thinking of lawnmowers, another one showed up with no receipt attached and no information about what was wrong with it. I tested it - started fine, blade was good, looked like it had been used a couple of times. The UPC sticker was partially removed, making it a challenge to look up in our system. I found the model on the Internet and discovered that we don't even sell that model. How did the person get a refund? We gave him a gift card instead of cash.
  • A woman was building a tool box out of wood trim/moulding. She purchased the trim and had it cut in our cut shop. She didn't like it, and returned it. We don't take returns on cut product...unless you cause a huge stink the manager gives in.
  • Looking into my cart of broken product I found floor tiles. The defective sticker said 'not sticking'. I peeled back the paper and found that they were very sticky. Sighing, I prepared to put them back in their box to sell as clearance (a few of the the tiles were cut so it wouldn't be a complete box). About ten tiles down the stack I discovered...a brick of tiles. The customer had peeled the paper off and stuck them all together making one giant, thick tile.
  • A set of garden lights arrived in my Shopping Cart of Broken Dreams, the sticker saying it was short one light. Supposed to be eight in the box, there were seven. I looked at the receipt and found the customer had purchased two boxes...I'm betting that the customer wanted nine lights.
  • A drill was returned and sent to me to get a credit. The drill looked like it had been run over by a forklift. No possible way I'll get a credit for that...on the write-off sheet it went.
  • One manager has a habit of giving customers parts out of barbecues and then telling me it's missing a part. WHICH PART?!? And gatdangit stop opening boxes and giving customers a part...they can buy a new one or order the part their damn self from the 1-800 number and web address on the box.
  • One manager asked me to get an RTV credit on paint for his friend. I asked for a receipt or a SKU and quantity and he laughed at me, saying I was demanding. Seriously? He literally made fun of me for asking for details so I can do my job.
  • A woman bought paint for her bathroom. She put two coats of paint on the walls and discovered that we must have mistinted the paint as it didn't look right (if she'd perhaps put a paint chip on her wall to see how the lighting in her house worked she may have chosen her colour better). She brought back the empty can and demanded that we give her new paint. Oh, and rollers and brushes and trays since they are all ruined because we tinted the paint wrong. She got all that for free plus a $50 gift card. Her reaction? She took her new stuff and walked out. No 'thank you' or gratitude of any kind.
  • Faucets. Oh goodness the faucets. People buy a new bathroom faucet and then put the old one in the box and return it. And we accept the return even though our policy is to absolutely not accept used faucets in new boxes.
  • A pitchfork was returned and the sticker said 'about to break'. Nope, it was fine. It was just dirty and I'll bet the customer's project is done. Same goes for a circular saw.
It does occur to me that the phrase 'the customer is always right' enables customers to be rude to service staff with no repercussions.

2 comments:

manchester fat acceptance said...

o wow they will really take anything back!

love, vicki

Chantelle said...

Wowie! They do take anything back! Sometimes I wish that the customer is always right idea would fade away (or just plain die). Customers aren't always right and there are always a selection of them that will take advantage of a kind store.

Love you,
Chantelle