27 November 2015

Mom and Daddy

I enjoy a nice poached egg chopped up on top of buttered toast with a gentle sprinkling of salt and pepper. Poaching an egg has been a treat up until about a year or so ago because my poachers would never quite work right. You know, where you crack the egg into a little bowl that sits on top of a pot of water - but the water can't touch the bottom of the egg bowl. I would routinely screw this up somehow.

Deciding that going to a restaurant and paying $6 for toast and eggs was getting ridiculous, I went to YouTube and watched some famous guy explain it to me (Gordon Ramsay? Jamie Oliver? can't remember). Following the instructions carefully I made perfect poached eggs! The problem before was water was too hot so the egg wasn't wrapping around itself.

As I made my first successful poached egg and ate it with relish, I went to grab my phone to call my mom and tell her how I did it. She was never able to poach eggs in a pot of water either(because her water was too hot also) and here I found a solution! I remembered before getting to the phone that my mom has died and she doesn't really need the information any more. 

Every time I make a poached egg I think about how YouTube has changed my life in terms of short, easy instructions on everyday things and how it could have maybe helped my mom. 

When I was around 17 I had a job interview at the SPCA dealing with the animals. I was a bit afraid of dogs, but loved cats, and thought it might be a good way of seeing if I wanted to be a veterinarian. The job was clear across the city in an area I'd never seen before. My mom told my dad that he should take me to the interview and he refused. Why? His reasoning was that if I couldn't find the building then I didn't really want to work there. My mom was upset with him but didn't volunteer to drive me either.

So I checked out the bus maps (long before Google maps) and the city map and saw that I'd have to take a bus and then the train and then another bus. Or after the train I could cross the tracks on foot and possibly walk to the building. I got on the bus, then the train, got off at the right stop...and couldn't figure it out. I had forgotten which direction I'd need to turn and couldn't figure out how to cross the tracks on foot. I couldn't remember which bus to take to get across the tracks either. I ended up not showing up for the interview :(

I never forgot this and since then I have always taken myself to whatever location the day before. This way I could get the timing right and know what the building looked like.

I went to a job interview today and goddammit if I didn't get in my own way first. I checked Google maps and saw where the building was. My interviewer gave me explicit instructions on how to get there. Google Street View wasn't available as it is a new development in a light industrial area.

What did I end up doing? Turning right instead of left, figuring out my mistake, driving in circles, using Google maps for directions (one minute away? HOW? Where the FUCK am I?), noticing the new development, tearing around the area (leaving a lot of tire rubber all over the place and worked my transmission hard), finding out the signage is tiny, and pulling in four minutes late. Luckily, my interviewer was wrapped up in something else so my tardiness went unnoticed. And the front area staff laughed a bit and said I passed the first test of finding the place.

Google maps and street view has made me lazy in checking out the area before an important meeting. Probably better to remember my dad and take myself to the location the day before.

2 comments:

Chantelle said...

I get lost easily; I'm always turning the wrong way even if someone gives me directions. Remember the new years eve I took the bus to Vicki's and got lost? I had to call for a rude and it was like -20 out. At least you found the place in the end :)

Love,
Chantelle

manchester fat acceptance said...

so cool you found that recipe on Youtube! i often think of our parents and want to tell them things, then i remember that i can't :'( .

when my older kid is visiting us over Christmas, we might go to see llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, the Welsh town with the second-longest name in the world. pop always thought it was cool, and so did i. he worked with a Welsh woman at Woodwards who taught me how to say the name. he would be so interested to know i might be going!

that was shitty about pop not driving you. the SPCA is legitimately really fucking far away. they always expected you to be more independent than what they expected from me, and it wasn't fair at all.

i constantly get lost!!! even following along to google maps on my phone. i was a bit late for an interview once because i couldn't find it... but then they made me sit and wait for much longer in the waiting area. i gave them shit right back when they tried to put it on with me. it was just an agency anyways.

love,
vicki